North Carolina Religious
Name and Purpose
The North Carolina Religious Studies Association is designed to advance
the academic study of religion in the state by providing opportunities for
scholars, teachers, and interested laypersons to discuss issues important
to the discipline.
- Membership in the Association is open to university and college
teachers, members of the clergy, and laypersons in the state who share a
common interest in the academic study of religion. Membership is
open to individuals and to departments.
- The membership dues are as follows:
Individual Member - $10.00
Departments - free
- The officers of the Association will be President, Vice-President, and
Secretary-Treasurer. They will perform the duties indicated below, and,
when an annual meeting is canceled (due to adverse weather or unforeseen
circumstances), act on behalf of the entire association in electing new
officers and naming a site for the next year a meeting.
- Officers will be elected at the annual meeting of the Association.
The President and Vice-President will each serve a one-year term.
Normally, at the close of his/her term, the Vice-President will serve as
President. The Secretary-Treasurer will serve a four-year term.
- Terms of office for newly elected officers begin at the close of the
meeting during which they were elected.
- The Association will meet one time a year, normally on the first
Friday in October.
- A business meeting will be conducted during each annual meeting in
accordance with Roberts Rules of Order.
- During the business meeting, the host school for the next year’s
meeting will be determined.
- The President will assist persons involved in planning the annual
meeting carry out their duties. The Vice-President will plan the
program. The Secretary-Treasurer will be responsible for all
correspondence with members, including notifying members of the meeting.
The Secretary-Treasurer will prepare a budget report for presentation
during the business meeting. A representative of the host school will be
responsible for making all on-site arrangement.
- The officers in consultation with the host institution may determine a
registration fee for the annual meeting not to exceed $25.
Adoption of Bylaws
These Bylaws will go into effect upon the consent of a majority of
members of present at a regularly scheduled annual meeting.
Amendment of Bylaws
These Bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting by a two-thirds
majority of members present, provided the amendment has been submitted in
writing to the membership at least one week prior to the meeting.